Saturday, February 11, 2012

A$AP Rocky Concert


This past Thursday my brother and I made the trek up to Richmond to catch ASAP Rocky at The National. This was my first time at The National and its a pretty cool venue, a lot smaller than I expected but whatever. Now Tyrone and I vowed that we WILL NOT end up in the front for the show, and that's exactly where we wound up. I guess we just wanted to see how long we can last up there. So around 8:15 the opening act comes out, this dude named Joe Threat who's from Richmond. The beginning of his set had some promise he kicked an acappella at the beginning and the crowd was kind of rockin with him a little bit. By the the third or fourth song the crowd starting chanting "ASAP! ASAP!" and throwing ice at him. About 20 minutes into his set he was booed off the stage and the venue cut off his mic and closed the curtains on him (damn homie!) So after all that the crowd was hype cause it's all like ASAP will be out here in no time. NO! It took ol boy OVER AN HOUR to get out to the stage. Sure I was still hype by the time he came out but I was also kind of over it. Especially cause during the first song I almost lost my driver's license, debit card and camera. Tyrone and I went up the balcony and viewed the rest of the disappointingly short set from there. Aside from all that ASAP Rocky puts on a really good show, he has stage presence, great interaction with the crowd, good with the in-between banter, and he played all my favorite songs so I was good. After the short set it turned into a kind of impromptu dance party with his DJ playing some throwback tunes, but by that time Tyrone and I peaced out cause we had an hour drive back home. The highlight of the show to me would be me purchasing the ASAP crewneck seen above and a really good screwdriver I had at the beginning of the night. The main thing that I got out of this show, a conclusion that I have been coming to for a while is that I'm getting old. I'll be 27 years old next month and its become alarmingly clear that I have to move my old a$$ up to the balcony for now on. Being down on the ground level "in the pit" is for the young bucks and that just aint me anymore. :sigh: but i'll always have memories of all the great shows I've been to in my lifetime. The end.

No comments: