Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The realest *bleep* I ever wrote.

So I have not posted in a while with good reason, on the day that I was last blogging my father was in heart surgery. Let's take this from the top. On father's day my mom told me my dad was sick, something about his throat hurting. I didnt think anything of it. 2 days later on tuesday afternoon I open the door for him, mom brought him home early from work cause he still was not feeling good. So I opened the door, flashed a quick smile, we said our hello's, I headed off to bed. That would be the last time I would see my father alive. When I woke up late tuesday evening mom calls to tell me that dad had been admitted to the hospital. When she took him to the emergency room she thought they were going to give him some meds then send him on his way, this was not the outcome. During an x-ray they found that he had an aneurysm in his chest. He was transported to Norfolk Hear Hospital and as soon as he got there they conducted emergency surgery on his heart. After 8 hours of operating the doctors told my mother he was not going to make. He died wednesday afternoon June 24th at the age of 46. Doctors say the damage to his heart because of the aneurysm was beyond repair. Now a few words about my dad Tyrone Jones. He was a weirdo, the end. Just kidding. Well he was a weirdo I mean where do you think I get it from eh? He had a tough upbringing the first child of single,teenage mother, he grew up in the tough neighborhood of South Bronx NYC. In his teens he moved to Castle Hill Projects where he met my mother. A few years later they married him 20 my mother 19. He joined the military and 2 years after marriage I came along, my brother 3 and a half years after me. He served in the Navy, traveled the world a few times and served in Desert Storm. He was not always the easiest person to grow up with and he didnt always do or say the right things but at the end of the day he would do anything for his wife and children. One thing I can remember is when we moved back to VA and he was still in NY making NY money to send to us he called my mother and said that he was not able to come to VA for xmas. I cried and cried and he got on a bus and came anyway, you know things like that. We are a lot alike he and I (which my mother always said) in that we are not emotionally very open, not good with words or affection. But every once in awhile he would walk up behind me and rub my shoulders, kiss me on the cheek and say "I love you" to which I sheeply reply (cause that's how I am) "I love you too".Mom will always tell my brother and I how he talks about how proud he is of us and he we're such 'cool kids', something he would never say to us directly but just to know that's how he felt was good enough. Our last time all together was the friday before his death at my cousin Shanee's wedding reception. It was just a fun night and the best way that we can remember our dad, dancing around, smiling, making jokes. We are all still in disbelief that he is gone, we just all know he's going to come walk through the door, and everything would just be the way it is, but its not. Nothing will ever the same. But it is, what it is. Everything happens for a reason I dont understand it right now and I am not the most religious person in the world but I do believe that God has a masterplan for my mother, brother and I. And excuse my french G but it better be a damn good one! Just saying. The hardest part is over the funeral, the burial. Now its just time to adjust and move on as best as we can, but that's easier said than done. But let's try to look at the brightside if he was to survive his heart surgery would he be the same person? Would he have been in pain and suffer the rest of his life? Who knows, but something pretty cool came out of it, because he was an organ donor the powers that be used his eyes to give 2 people their sight, that's pretty dope. So in closing I love you dad and Im really going to miss you and your cheesecake.In the words of Forest Gump "that's all Im gonna say about that"

Tyrone Jones Sunrise Dec 2 1962 Sunset June 24 2009

No comments: