Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Miss HU, the wrong HUe.

A local story caught my eye yesterday. Its a story about a young Caucasian lady who attends Hampton University, a historic black college winning the Miss HU pageant. This appointment has the whole campus split on the decision. Her name is Nikole Churchill and she is senior who attends the Va Beach campus of HU (i didnt even know there was a VB campus). There have been negativity because of her skin color and the fact she doesn't attend HU on the main campus (i agree with that one)Others are positive on the issue and say it shows the diversity of the HBCU. I am personally split on this decision. If this was a young black woman becoming queen on an all white campus will the rumpus be the same? At the same this is a historic black college and in keeping with tradition Miss HU should be african-am. But I dont want to sound like a biggot. I will tell you this, I know a lot of the black chicks are like "First they take our men, now they're taking our pageants!?". Churchill had written a letter to President Obama explaining her issue and asked for him to come to Hampton University and speak on racial tolerance, a letter which she later apologized to writing and sending. So all in all im not really sure how to feel on this subject, how bout you?
I would like to send a video dedication to Ms. Churchill Gym Class Heroes "Viva La White Girl"

No comments: