Saturday, September 18, 2010

What!?



The picture you see above is a 'throwback' to my days at WVRU, the campus radio station located in Porterfield Hall. Porterfield is connected to Powell Hall. These two buildings are the Visual and Performing arts buildings,the place where I spent my collegiate life. Buildings that I thought I knew everything about, well I was wrong. Recently the Board of Visitors decided to strip Powell Hall of its name. Of course it caused concern for my fellow music majors who inhabit this building, but then I was directed to an article posted by my boo boo Carl. Turns out the namesake of the building was one of Virginia's leading white supremacist. WTF!? Obviously this is shocking, all the years that I spent in that building and didnt know the story of the person whom it was named after. However; despite all that, nothing including a building named after a white supremacist, can take away all of the memories, friends, songs, laughs, practice sessions, quizzes, exams, and an oral exam that brought me tears that I had in that building. Powell Hall is being stripped and now it will all be known as Porterfield, which is fine by me. Might I interject a suggestion and put my bid in for Tylia Hall or maybe Lucretia Building. No? Fine. Read the whole article here

No comments: