
So for a while now a lot of people have been looking forward to Kid Cudi's debut album
Man on The Moon: The End of Day and whether this dude will deliver on all the hype that has been surrounding him for a year and change. I have to say that he delivers big time! There will be a lot of haters and nay-sayers because that's just the way the world works. You can be the person who cures cancer and SOMEONE will say condem you for it, that's the way it is. Hardcore hip hop heads, old rappers and back-packers may want to hate but this is a great album. Kid Cudi and I are about the same age (he 25 me 24) and to me as an artist he represents and era of kids who grew up on mid to late 90's MTV where say a Metallica video plays and Dr. Dre and Tupac plays after him the maybe some Sneaker Pimps after that. Its a generation of kids who embraced many different genres of music. He takes this and in my humble opinion takes the art of conception and hip hop as a whole to another level. The album is set up as a play/movie/dream/musical if you will being split up into 5 scences. The transition into some of those scenes are narrated by Common who's like this generation's James Earl Jones. Listening to this album is truely cinematic. There are some songs that on an individual basis that I would not turn to like "Simple As..." and "Pursuit of Happiness" but this is a project that needs to be listened to as a whole. There are some standout tracks "Soundtrack to my Life" "My World" "Cudi Zone" the best song on the album to me is "Heart of Lion" which Cudi describes as "Eye of the Tiger"-esque which it really is. Its dark yet triumphant with a pulsating beat. I mentioned on twitter the other day how I was surprised of the number of interviews and articles I have read about Cudi how no one mentions Bone Thugs N Harmony's influence on his sing song-y style. This is well demonstrated on the song "Hyyer" feat his friend, artist and fellow Cleavland-ite Chip the Ripper. On that song its so blantantly obvious, its so blantantly Cleaveland as us outsiders are familiar with. As a whole this album really does push the musical envelope, it engages ALL musicians and artist in all genres to step their game and imagination up. However; I believe the pressure is really on for the Kid now, how could he possibly follow up to this, is he able too? He has so far proven himself very sensitive when it comes to this whole music game, threatning to quit, deleting his twitter account because of 'negativity'. So I say get this album and listen to it whole preferably in the dark cause this may be as good as it gets from Kid Cudi.
No comments:
Post a Comment