Sunday, July 25, 2010

Jammie of the Day

I remember hearing this song for this first time around the time my family moved to Virginia. In the late 90s southern hip hop was little to non existent especially up north. Hearing this for the first time, I was 'huh', it was a different sounding song, he wasn't rapping on top of the beat, you could barely understand what he was saying, but there was something intriguing to this song that you ended up liking it. I believe this was THE song that opened the floodgates to the south taking over the hip hop nation. Case in point. When I used to listen to Hot 97 (the biggest hip hop station in the nation located in the heart of NYC)whilst at my secretary job online all I heard was the following: Trey Songz...songs, Drake songs, and all southern hip hop songs, go figure. So southern rappers you should drop to your knees and thank Juvenile (and Manny Fresh) for putting southern hip hop on the map, whether for better or worse.

No comments: