Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I Miss You Man: Missy Elliot


In recent weeks it has been revealed that Missy Misdemeanor Elliot has been suffering with Graves Disease since 2008. Its an incurable autoimmune disease that effects the thyroid. This is unfortunate news and got me to thinking about all the amazing things Missy has done since her breakout in the mid 90s, and the profound effect she had on me as 'tween'. I remember not too along after my family moved to Hampton in the summer of 1997 Missy's Supa Dupa Fly was released. I remember going to Sam Goody and picking up the cassette (r.i.p.to Sam Goody's and cassettes ha) and listening to it incessantly. That album alone inspired me to want to become a producer cause I thought it was so cool that a woman was doing that and if Missy can do it, I can do it too! She was a chubby chick from Virginia who was a bit strange and I related to that fully. Ever since then Missy has always been ahead of the curve, so ahead that I don't think people has really caught up yet. Her "Behind The Music" episode comes on this week and I am really looking forward to it. There's also word that she is in the studio working on new music. Although I am positive that whatever Missy drop is going to be bonkers, I will always remember that feeling I got when listening to Supa Dupa Fly.

No comments: