Thursday, May 21, 2009

Proms are over-rated


Prom short for Promenade is a gathering at the end of a high school students senior year (typically) also a night when babies are being born or made in some cases. All growing up I looked forward to "Prom" it was like a gateway into adulthood if you would. I always saw this footage of kids getting together with their friends, taking pictures, driving off in a limo having the time of their lives. Then there is me. In may of 2003 was my Phoebus High School junior/senior prom, which 1 peed me off cause I'm all on this "its my night why are these little kids here" steez. I brought my dress in november of the previous year at the JC Penny in the hampton coliseum mall, I figured if I brought my dress 'early' I would avoid all the big girls having my dress, more on that later. So the day of prom I got out of school early to go pick up my first and only paycheck from a telemarketing job that I have gotten 2 weeks prior after getting fired from my first telemarketing job a few months earlier. So I pick up the check and make my way to get my hair did, I asked for spiral curls, I dont know why. I make my way home and lay out my attire and I tried on these gloves that I had gotten to wear with the dress cause I HATE my arms. Turns out my tree trunks known as arms were to big for the gloves, go figure. So I run out to the chinese beauty supply spot and buy some fishnet stockings. I took these stocking cut off the legs found some elastic in the sewing can and made some gloves, yeah creativity ya'll. So finally it is time for me to get ready. Usually girls get together with friends and get ready. Not me. It was just me and moms, which was cool, but the perpetual media had me gassed! So I get finish getting ready and my mom is taking pictures and what not. So I go in the fridge and get out the corsage that I had to buy for myself cause you know I aint have no date! And the crosage proceeds to fall apart on me...great. So my mom found some fake flowers and splooged it together. In the words Tim Gunn we had to "Make it Work!" So my mom finally sends me on my way, by myself, not in a limo, but my parents silver Kia Rio, yeah classy, I drive myself to the Virginia Air and Space Museum in downtown Hampton. So I get there and realize I did not make any prior plans as to who I was going to meet there. Like no friends or anything cause I came by myself. So the first 10 minutes of my senior prom woo-hoo was spent walking around aimlessly. I finally see some people I know but they quickly scurried away. Then I finally find my constituents whom I had lunch with or as an assistant principle called us "the punk rock posse". I proceeded to tag along with them all night although I felt like I was cramping their style. Oh yeah the dress, turns out 4 other chicks had the same dress I had, all big girls, BUT I accessorized the *bleep* out of my dress, so I was mad but it was aiight. I only danced to one song and left by midnight, did not go to any after prom activities cause well I wasnt invited. Limped back to my car cause I can not walk in heels unless they are platforms or wedges and went to Wendy's then went home, and that was prom. The best night of young person's life. Yay. Although prom did crank out the now infamous "Flotah Inc Mafia" pic (above) with my best friends from Phoebus Troy (L) and Jazz (R), quite possibly the most gangsta pic of all time. All in all what im trying to say is DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE! But maybe im just bitter....yeah I am.

No comments: