Friday, December 10, 2010

...Yeezy Taught Me...


**pixelated cover art FTW!**
Over the past two weeks I have intensely and repeatedly listened to Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and here is my take on it.
I have always had a love/hate with Kanye (as have a lot of people). I always respected his music and his vision but his attitude was always so off putting to me. My feelings changed for him however around the time 808s and Heartbreak came out. This had a lot to do with a change in his demeanor due to the tragic passing of his mother and him becoming more of a humble human being. Also the fact that I LOVED 808s because it was more than just rappity-rap. To clarify I am a hip hop head and always will be but I do love me some melodies. Anyways now getting to MBDTF. I do not get excited by music much these days but I was heavily anticipating this album. I have not been this excited about a record since Kid Cudi's Man On the Moon... album last year. And although more than half of the album have been floating around the internets for the better half of this year thanks to G.O.O.D. fridays and some good ol album leakage, this album did not disappoint. This album is the culmination of all Kanye's albums. It has the sped up sample straight hip hop vibe of College Dropout, the orchestration of Late Registration, the meticulous and grandiose production of Graduation, and the emotion of 808. All that packed into 13 songs with out sounding forced or getting boring. MBDTF (also known as my really obnoxiously long album title but i can get away with it cause this album is effing amazing) has the rare no skippage where you can start from "Dark Fantasy" and not stop until the last drum beat in "Who Will Survive In America". You can listen to individual album cuts but the record as a whole just melts from one track to another, the sequencing in my opinion is excellent. My favorite track has to be "Hell of A Life" and "Lost in the World" is seriously one of the best songs of all time. ALL TIME! It's emotional, its urgent but its also a bit jubilant. Conflicting emotions for the last song on the album which kind of feels like a cliffhanger or a deceptive cadence but it really is masterfully crafted song (although I have a bone to pick with the additional drums added to the final mix :-/) I guess what I'm trying to say is this album is quite the masterpiece and Kanye worked his tail off to make sure it was so. And for someone to truly put their all into something because they truly care for the music, how could you not love that!?

No comments: