For those of you that don't know I majored in music when I went to college. I eventually in my life want to make music. I don't know if I want to actually compose music even though I probably can, I just want to make music. In music history you always about Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart yada yada yada. I mean of course those guys are cool cause they laid the groundwork for everyone that came after them but I always liked the point in the history class where we got to like the modern 20th century stuff. Like when I heard Charles Ives' "General William Booth Enters Into Heaven" with text from the Vachel Lindsay poem of the same title, I almost cried. Everyone else thought it was the strangest song but for some reason it really got to me. It was so offbeat it was brilliant. So I like stuff like that. I am also a HUGE fan of Aaron Copland. He is not off his rocker like Ives was but he makes really great american orchestral music. My favorite is Billy the Kid where my favorite movement is the mexican dance and finale where about 45 seconds into the movement after this like festive lively opening it calms down and the strings come in ahhhh heaven. So yeah I also recently got into John Cage who is most famous for his piece "4'33" which is quite literally 4mins and 33sec of 'silence' not one note is played by the performer, they just sit there. The whole point of it is that there really isnt silence there is always some type of noise around you, be it your heart beating, the rhythmic pattern of someone beside you breathing etc.David Axelrod is another one who made like 'funk jazz' the song "Holy Thursday" was recently featured in Grand Theft Auto and also sampled on lil wayne's current cd. The song "the edge" also by Axelrod was sampled by Dr. Dre in the song "the next episode", yeah man hot sh!t.One day I would hope to make music of my own that is some how innovative if not inovative something that would move someone the way that some of these peoples music has moved me. So I will leave you with a Axelrod's "Holy Thursday" oddly enough with scenes from Super Fly that some genous on youtube spliced together, you know what it goes together so just enjoy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment