Thursday, February 19, 2009
Isnt it great to be a 'young invincible'!?
Well not really. This generation of twenty somethings or 'young invincibles' are living and working without health insurance me included, fully. Pretty much as soon as I walked across the stage I was on my own. If I would have had nice slip and fall got a rock thrown at me or something freakish like that I would have had to pay ER fees, fully. Its a shame that when you work so hard, so many hours, and you have to take care of your health, you really cant. This can really go for many americans any age. However; I feel like it really takes affect on people this age because when you are older (hopefully) you have enough income to pay for these fees that comes along with healthcare if you happen not to have health insurance at your job, which for older people is not so often the case. For example over the summer I had crazy intense TMJ symptoms which brought me to tears, depression and sleepless nights the whole summer. As the summer diminished the symptoms seem to fade fortunately. One time I was in so much pain and wanted an end to it I went to some dentist to see how much money it would take to get looked. To even get in the chair to shake hands with the dentist was upwards of $200 and this is even before any type of procedure would be taken. So after not wanting to ask any family member to borrow money because of my pride and not wanting to be 'that family member' I toughed out the pain like a G. Now the other day a piece of tooth fell out from my back molar leaving a crack sharp tooth scraping against my tongue making it hard to speak, and eat. I asked my mother what may be the cause of this (she was a dental assistant for many years) and she said it may be the result of a cavity. So now I have to get that taken care of, and I know that's going to be a lot of money. Clawd Hammercy. It just stinks to be in this clump of culture if you will. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to get a better job with benefits. Or the commonwealth could adopt a law much like NY state is contemplating right now were young adults can maintain on parents health insurance till 29. Being that this is Virginia (say it like 'this is sparta' its funny) I dont see that really happening. Boooooooooo. To read a piece about Uninsured young adults check out this article from the New York Times
Labels:
...on a serious note,
aint that a bitch,
umm no
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment